
Mason's cute little toes at two weeks (this little piggy went to the market ...)

Mason's sweet little fingers at two weeks

Two weeks

Two weeks

Mrs. Joann (2 weeks)

2 weeks

2 weeks

Swingin' with Gran Ann (3 weeks)

Go Bulldogs!

Snoozin' (3 weeks)

Sleeping after our walk. Wearing an outfit his Uncle Bill out in CA got him! (4 weeks)
Where does the time go?!
Mason and I have been on our own since last week and its been really nice to get into a routine. The days are moving right along! They consist mostly of eating, diaper changing, and napping. We also love to take walks around the neighborhood, swing on the front porch and listen to the birds (and Belle barking at anyone who walks by), reading books, singing nursery rhymes (Mason currently likes "The Wheels on the Bus" and "Five Little Monkeys"), tummy time, bouncing in the bouncy seat, getting lots of kisses from Belle, and listening to beach music. Mason seems to love dancing around the living room with his mama to some good ole' beach music!
I took Mason to the pediatrician's office on Friday because Brian and I were concerned about his belly button. It turns out that the poor guy has an umbilical hernia. :( If you are wondering what that is, well, I'd be happy to tell you ... Prenatally, all babies have an opening in the abdominal wall through which blood vessels extend into the umbilical cord. In some cases, the opening doesn't close completely at birth. When a baby cries, coughs or strains, a small coil of intestine bulges through the opening, raising the umbilicus and the area around it. Of course, its nothing for us to worry about and the small opening will close within a few months to two years (TWO years!! Whoa!). I read that the hernia can be as small as a finger tip or as large as a lemon. Thankfully his isn't as large as a lemon. According to our pediatrician, Mason will have a major outie until it heals completely.
Mason was scheduled to have his one month exam this week, but since we were already at the pediatrician's office on Friday we went ahead and did the exam then. Here are his stats:
Weight: 8lbs 10oz (27th percentile), he was 7lbs 1oz at birth
Height: 21.5" (55th percentile), he was 20" at birth
Head Circumference: 37cm (28th percentile)
Mason is also able to focus on our faces, follow us around the room, lift his head, hold his hands together and grip our fingers tightly. My mom and I saw him counting to two on his fingers the other day! ;) He makes the sweetest noises and silliest faces when he's dozing off - I'll have to try and get it on video one day. And, he will occasionally make a noise that sounds like a billy goat (I like to think its him laughing at us!) and a horse (when he is stretching).
Since Mason was breech and breech babies are known to have hip dysplasia, it is standard procedure (at our pediatrician's office) for him to receive a bilateral hip ultrasound, which is scheduled for July 7th. Please keep him in your prayers and that his little hips will be (and will also remain) where they should. Thank you so much!
Brian and I had our first date night last Saturday since Mason was born. My parents came up to babysit while Brian and I went out to celebrate my birthday. We had such a great time ... and I definitely enjoyed a couple glasses of wine!! Of course, by 9pm I found myself with a full belly, sleepy and ready to come home and cuddle with my little man!
Thank you all for your calls, emails and visits! We are so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family! Love you bunches!
No comments:
Post a Comment